Windows XP, SP1, SP2
This is for NTFS
There are a few steps required after xcopying
Here is the list of switches you will use and the steps
xcopy [source] [destination] /E /C /H /K /R /Y /O
xcopy program used to copy
[source] Location containing the data
you want to copy from
[destination] Location you want to copy
the data to.
/E Copies all directories, even empty directories.
/C Continues to copy if there are errors.
/H Copies hidden and system files.
/K Copies file attributes.
/R Overwrites read only files.
/Y Overwrites files without prompting user.
/O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
xcopy c:\ d:\ /E /C /H /K /R /Y /O
- Make sure you have a Windows XP installation cdrom.
- In the run box type: xcopy c:\ d:\ /E /C /H /K /R /Y /O
(I am assuming that your drive letters are the same
as I am using. If not, just substitute your drive letters
for the source and destination.) and hit enter.
- You should see a DOS window open up listing all the files
it is copying.
- After xcopy is finished, shutdown and power off the computer
and remove your primary drive.
- Set the jumpers on the slave drive to master and secure
it in the case.
- Power on your computer, enter the CMOS
and autodetect the drive
for the primary. Depending on your computer you may have
to manually configure the CMOS.
- Exit the BIOS, restart your computer and boot from the
Windows XP installation cdrom.